Awesome shooter and in basic! Great stuff.
GALACTUS (ZX Spectrum Next)
A downloadable game
Defeat the Galactus empire, battling wave after wave of relentless attack craft and alien creatures!
Galactus is a fast paced, classic arcade-style shooter, with a broad variety of backgrounds and aliens, written entirely in NextBASIC (2.07k) for the ZX Spectrum Next.
- 8 attack levels, 2 bonus scoring levels (with rapid fire) and a boss level.
- Animated sprite graphics
- Static and scrolling backgrounds
- Supports both Keyboard and Joystick.
- Top 5 high score table (scores are saved to disk).
- Game options for adding a shields feature and adjusting the amount of bullets and bombs allowed during game play.
Handy Gameplay Tip
Activating shields can be done using the options. This gives you 5 shields per game. To activate a shield in-game, simply press down. A shield lasts a few seconds...
FOR THE DEVELOPER NERDS
- 74 page PDF code break down guide for the entire game, data and more.
- Attack pattern creator, along with PDF User guide that also contains instructions how to use the program for your own projects.
- Level designer tool used to create the game levels in Galactus.
- Original source code for all 3 programs in text file format.
Play it as-is, look at the coding and play with it for some learning fun, even edit the code and graphics to make it your own! Enjoy.
IMPORTANT NOTE : There is a bug in NextZXOS 2.07g that will corrupt this game if it is run after the AYFX driver has already been installed (including from previous games). This bug has been corrected in later versions of the OS. It has not been tested with older versions, though should work as it doesn't use any features that were not in previous versions of NextBASIC after 2.06.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
You don´t have this file in nxt extension ?
You mean a .nex file? I believe nex are for executable applications (ie. Compiled programs) and not so much for loading and running basic files. (well, at least from what I understand of them).
NOTE: Just something here for anybody running this on the latest core/NextZXOS 2.07k... While playing it on the physical hardware, occasionally the background of the text on the title screen went purple after entering the initials into the high score table...
Why? No idea as there are no purple colours used in the game (for printing) at all. Re-running the game seemed to fix it, but I've heard someone say it happened a few times. It's more a visual aesthetic issue on the title screen and doesn't detract from the game.
Another great game from Kevman3D and happy to support as fellow next basic dev! Love the write ups and insights into how others code. Dont forget the box artwork for ALL your games :-D
lol! Box artwork - I have some (roughed out). Will add a printable 'J-card' one of these days once I get around to putting a cleaned up illustration/painting together.
Absolutely loving the look of this. AY sound effects are sweet, too! 😁